Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Unseen Effect of Underwire

No, really...I did not see this coming at all. I thought I was doing well - felt good (physically and emotionally) and then I was faced with the news that I could not wear underwire bras during treatment.
I began by hitting department stores to find a few bras that I could wear for the next 6-8 weeks. Once I got in the dressing room and realized that they don't fit or work like bras with wire, I became irritated. Then there were tears.
I had breast cancer - surgery to remove the tumor spot this past April and now starting radiation. You think you are doing OK and then there it is - the cancer thing screwing with your plans! No scoop neck tops for the summer, no shaving the left arm pit, only non-metallic deodorant on that side and then you are staring at yourself in a dressing room realizing you can not even select the bra you want. The treatment is making all your decisions for you.
Don't get me wrong. I am very fortunate that the cancer was found early (yearly screening) and that it was treatable but I never saw myself crying in a dressing room about a bra.


I found that having a few minutes of just being mad as hell helps when things like this happen. Laughing as much as possible is highly recommended. Looking for the bright side (hair under left arm pit might never grow back) no matter how hard it is to see is worth it!

1 comment:

  1. 1) So f'ing proud of you for making this blog and talking about your experience with breast cancer!
    2) I miss you & wish that I could teleport there <3

    ReplyDelete