Wednesday, June 29, 2011

C to Double D+



I knew that swelling would be part of post-surgery, but WOW...really a C to a Double D+ or E overnight and only on one side.  It's a good thing I was trapped in a surgical bra.


Two days after surgery you have permission to remove the "corset", gauze and take a shower. I was very excited about this. Once I released the long strip of velcro holding that bra together, I was stunned. I never thought I'd see one boob that big on my body. Maybe there was a time when I wanted larger breast (say, high school when every one was compared), but I didn't expect this large boob that popped out of that bra. Fortunately, I had to wear the surgical bra 24 hours a day for two weeks - Lord, knows nothing else was going to fit. 


The swelling slowly decreased and it's more C and D now. I had to find new bras that would fit, be very supportive, not have underwire and manage the different cup size. Not an easy task. Getting dressed can still be an issue some days. 


The surgeon told me it would take 3 to 4 months for the swelling to completely go down and 9 to 12 months for the breast to fully heal. I'm at 2 months post-surgery and hoping for some decrease in month 3! Because I had lymph nodes removed for biopsy, I also have swelling under my arm (takes "bra over-hang" to a whole new level). Picking and choosing tops from my closet has become a limited selection. There are many things I still can't wear, but big t-shirts hides a lot (just can't wear those everyday). I'm ready to have my two C's back.


Wait, shouldn't people with breast surgery be given a "Fashion Free Card"! 


We should be able to wear whatever we want to any place we want because we are surviving. Call Tim Gunn and have Project Runway whip us up all something fabulous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment